In a recent bible study I reread Paul’s condemnation of the Jewish religious leaders of his day. He quoted Isaiah and said;
26 ‘GO TO THIS PEOPLE AND SAY, “YOU WILL KEEP ON HEARING, BUT WILL NOT UNDERSTAND; AND YOU WILL KEEP ON SEEING, BUT WILL NOT PERCEIVE;
27 FOR THE HEART OF THIS PEOPLE HAS BECOME DULL, AND WITH THEIR EARS THEY SCARCELY HEAR, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR EYES; OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT SEE WITH THEIR EYES, AND HEAR WITH THEIR EARS, AND UNDERSTAND WITH THEIR HEART AND RETURN, AND I WOULD HEAL THEM.”‘ Acts 28:26-27 (NASB)
I keep encountering “woke” Christians. I fear if American Christianity continues down a path of wokeness it will head in the opposite direction of our calling. The Bible is clear and direct when it discusses God’s design. Here are six areas unwoke evanglicals come together on:
1) There is one way to find peace with God. There is one way to heaven. There is only one path to access our Heavenly Father. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Forgiveness from God comes through trust in the once dead, buried, and resurrected Son of God, Jesus. None can get to the Father apart from Him.
2) The Bible is one hundred percent true and clear. Yes there are parts that are difficult to understand or to accept. That doesn’t make it untrue or inappropriate for our time. The Bible is right all the time and without error.
3) Marriage is a beautifully designed picture of the church and Christ where Christ is the head and the Church is His Body. We are His hands and feet to bring Good News to a lost and hurting world.
4) One’s identity was designed and created perfectly by our Savior. You aren’t a mistake and you aren’t something that you are not. Thus, there are only two sexes, only two created options defined by one’s DNA. If a person wants to be something other that what they are created, we have surgeries and hormones, but reality is clear, you are who God created you to be, period. God loves you the way you are. God does not condemn you for wanting to be something else, but wants you to find sufficiency and identity in Him. If you find identity in Him you find peace and joy.
5) Babies, however conceived, are human and have a right to life. No situation apart from the life of a mother is sufficient to warrant murder of a living being, created in God’s image. Christians must stand up and defend the defenseless. The argument that a woman has control over her body is true until the baby, being a body of its own, is created. There is no country that God can bless that sacrifices millions and millions of unborn babies to the god of convenience, preference, or materialism.
6) God loves all races, colors, ages, and genders. God loves you as you are and forgives you when you come to Him in repentance. One is not better than another. God loves us all equally and asks only that we love Him first and others second. If for any reason you do not like someone because of their outward appearance, you are wrong and in sin. As a wonderful man one said, “[I hope my] children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” Unwoke people value character above color.
If you are woke, blinded by race or gender, know there is hope. You find hope in reading the scriptures. You find hope in going humbly to God and asking to be his child. You find hope in recognizing the way God created you is exactly perfect and good. You find hope in joining the fight for those who actually have no voice, and resisting those people that have more than most third world residents and don’t even know it. You find hope when your wokeness is changed and you awake from your slumber. Only then, Church and Christians, can you return to God and He will heal our land!